Sunday, September 17, 2017

Brisbane City Sketchers at castle Rumble

Logan’s best kept secret is Castle Rumble, a medieval-style 'castle' built brick by brick by Brian Rumble, an artist and sculptor (whose past projects include work on Brisbane’s Grammar School, St Andrews Church and Dreamworld). (Extract from Must Do Brisbane - Deb Lidster)
Like the Addams Family house, the castle is creepy and kooky. Set on four hectares, the castle is guarded by gargoyles at the gated entrance. The gardens are landscaped with quirky sculptures and statues while the home itself is a mixture of Tudor meets medieval with a touch of Gothic thrown in. The castle is complete with turret, lead-light windows and a courtyard straight out of the Middle Ages. The latter has been used in the past to host banquets, birthday parties and even weddings. Inside is equally intriguing with dimly-lit rooms covered in cobwebs and a thick layer of dust. 
Visitors can only access the first floor of this four story home; however the turret offers 360 degree views from Mt Coot-tha to Cunningham’s Gap. Behind the castle, there’s a vine-covered two-story dwelling with a workshop of sorts on the ground floor, while upstairs you’ll find a bed chamber, stunning stained glass and intricately carved timber wall and impressive views.
Nice to know – Castle Rumble is currently on the market (at time of visiting in September 2017) for the right buyer. While developers have shown an interest in the land, the family would like the new owner to keep the castle and let Brian’s labour of love live on.
 
A4 Sketchbook Lamy Pen and Watercolours.
 
 




Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Saint Stephens Girls School.


St Stephens School is a heritage-listed former Roman Catholic school.  It was designed by architect John Ibler and built in 1892 by Thomas Rees..  

This three-storeyed school building is built in the Gothic Revival style. The school stands on land which was designated for church use in 1847 and officially granted to the Catholic Church in 1849.
Classes had been conducted in various "second-hand" buildings since 1845, but on 20 March 1892 Archbishop Robert Dunne, a trained teacher, laid the foundation stone for this purpose-built school. 

A tin capsule containing copies of the three Brisbane daily newspapers and The Australasian was lodged under the stone.


11" x 15' Bockingford paper Lamy pen and watercolour.



  

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Brisbane City Sketchers at Roma Street Parkland

The area that is now called Roma Street Parkland has a long and varied history; from a meeting place for local Aboriginal people prior to European settlement, a gazetted park in the 1870s to a railway goods yard the area that is now called Roma Street Parkland has been a focal point for the people and commerce of Brisbane.

The Turrbal people used the area around Roma Street Parkland for a variety of purposes prior to the arrival of the first Europeans, uses which included recreation, hunting and camping. On at least occasion in the 1840s it is recorded that the Roma Street area was used for a major gathering of Aboriginal groups from south-east Queensland and was probably the last of such gatherings in the Brisbane area.


Brisbane City Sketchers


7.5" x 5.5" sketchbook
Lamy pen and watercolours.






Tuesday, August 29, 2017

YUNGABA - "The Residences"

Yungaba was designed by John James Clark and built c. 1885 by William Peter Clark. It is also known as Yungaba Immigration Depot, Immigration Barracks, and No.6 Australian General Hospital.
The first residents were passengers on the migrant ship Duke of Buccleuch who landed on 6 December 1887. Yungaba ceased to operate as a migrant hostel in 1993.   It has undergone refurbishment, and is now "The residences" apartments.

 A4 Holcroft Sketchbook
Lamy pen and a splash of watercolour.





Saturday, August 26, 2017

Sketching on Brisbane River with the Brisbane City Sketchers

Fabulous morning urban sketching on the Brisbane River with the Brisbane City Sketchers.


Story Bridge and Howard Smith Wharves
5.5" x 7.5" sketchbook lamy pen and watercolour
The Howard Smith Wharves were constructed 1934-early 1940s by the Queensland Government to provide relief work during the depression years of the 1930s. Initially known as the Brisbane Central Wharves, the project was undertaken in conjunction with the construction of the Story Bridge, one of the Forgan-Smith government's principal employment-generating projects. Like other such schemes, the Brisbane Central Wharves not only provided employment, but established important infrastructure for Queensland's future development. Brisbane Central Wharves were leased by the Australian coastal shipping company Howard Smith Co. Ltd from the mid-1930s until the early 1960s, and are more usually referred to as the Howard Smith Wharves.

5.5" x 7.5" sketchbook lamy pen

5.5" x 7.5" sketchbook - water brushes filled with water and ink.
 5.5" x 7.5" sketchbook lamy pen
Customs houses were built in all major Australian ports in the nineteenth century.  Customs and excise duties were an important source of revenue, levied on goods from overseas and in some cases from other colonies.  The port of Brisbane grew quickly so in 1884 the Queensland government agreed to replace its existing Customs House at Petrie Bight, a modest single storey brick structure, with a much grander edifice.  Designed by Charles McLay of the Colonial Architect's office, it is two storeys high on the Queen Street frontage, while three storeys are visible from the river side.  Its grand public space, The Long Room, is surmounted by a copper sheathed dome. With work commencing in 1886, this imposing and rare surviving masterpiece of the Colonial Architects Office took three years and £38,346 to build.
The Brisbane Customs House is a fine example of Victorian Free Classical style, with its grand colonnades and portico, and a dome which still manages to be a major feature on the landscape, despite being overlooked by adjacent high rise office and apartment blocks.


Friday, August 25, 2017

Brisbane City Sketchers at Sacred Heart Church in Paddington

Sacred heart Church was designed by  GHM Addison and built in 1918 as the third in twenty years for the Sisters of Mercy who’d infiltrated the area to teach children.
The first wooden church built in 1898 was moved across the road to serve as a school and the second church s built.  The second church was built in 1907 but quickly became too small for the ever growing parish, so the foundation stone for this magnificent church was laid in 1917


A4 Holcroft Sketchbook and pen
The interior of the church is beautiful, and has just been restored for their 100 year celebrations

6"x9" sketchbook pen and watercolour





Sunday, August 20, 2017

Brisbane City Sketchers at Southside Art Market.

Southside Art Market has events several times a year.  The Brisbane City Sketchers have a standing invite to come join in.  It was an awesome day today, with some awesome sketching done.  I got 2 artworks done and some worthwhile networking.

  First sketch of the day was of the wonderful musicians La Dolce Vita Music group


Second sketch of part of the setup.  The art market was diverse and wonderful.  They even had a ceramic glazing ad firing going.  Pity I didn't have time to do one..






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...